2. We take our obligations very seriously and have implemented practices, procedures and systems to ensure we comply with applicable laws. We are committed to maintaining the confidentiality and security of your personal information and managing it in an open and transparent way.
What is Personal Information
4. For the purposes of this policy, “personal information” is information relating to an identified natural person or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data or an online identifier, amongst other things.
5. We do not consider personal information to include information that has been anonymised or aggregated so that it can no longer be used to identify a specific natural person, whether in combination with other information or otherwise.
Information we collect
6. We collect personal information from you and from other sources when you use our services. If you do not provide us with the information we request or if we cannot collect this information from other sources, we may not be able to provide you with our services.
7. In the process of providing our services, the most common types of personal information we collect includes your your full name, telephone number, email address, other contact details, web analytics, education information, work experience and usernames.
8. Wherever it is lawful and practical, you have the option of using a pseudonym or not identifying yourself when dealing with us. However, by doing so you acknowledge that it may affect our ability to provide our products and services to you.
How we collect personal information
10. We collect personal information directly from you when you provide it to us, automatically as you navigate through the Website, or through other people when you use services associated with the Website.
11. You will provide personal information to us when you complete registration, buy services on our Website, subscribe to a newsletter or email list, submit feedback, enter a contest, fill out a survey, or send us a communication.
Your sensitive personal information
12. Some personal information (e.g. ethnicity, religion, political opinions) is sensitive and requires a higher level of protection under applicable laws. We will only collect your sensitive information when we have your consent; the collection is reasonably necessary for us to carry out one or more of our functions or activities; or is required or authorised by law.
Personal information we collect about you from others
13. Although we generally collect personal information directly from you, on occasion, we also collect certain categories of personal information about you from other sources. In particular:
(i) financial and/or transaction details from payment providers in order to process a transaction; and
(ii) other third-party sources/ and or partners whereby we receive additional information about you (to the extent permitted by applicable law), such as demographic data, and combine it with information we have about you. We also receive information about you and your activities on and off the Meisterline platform through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks.
Dealing with unsolicited personal information
14. If we receive your personal information from a third party without having asked you for it, then within a reasonable time, we will determine whether we could have collected it in the ways outlined in paragraph 13 above. If we determine that it could not have been collected in one of those ways and it is lawful and reasonable to do so, then as soon as practicable we will destroy the information; or ensure that it is de-identified.
Use and disclosure of personal information
15. We will only use and hold your personal information:
(i) for the purpose of conducting our business in particular providing the services, and facilitating and processing requests and transactions that take place on our Website;
(ii) where you give us consent to provide you with marketing information about services and products which we believe may interest you;
(iii) where it is necessary for purposes which are in our, third parties, and other parties’ legitimate interests. These interests include operating the Website, providing you with the services described on the Website, carrying out technical analysis to determine how to improve our Website, and the services we provide, and training Meisterline staff on how best to assist our users, amongst other things; and
(iv) for purposes which are required by law, if we reasonably believe it is necessary to respond to requests to law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation or by government.
16. We will only disclose your personal information to the following recipients:
– our company representatives;
– service providers and subcontractors who assist us in connection with the ways we use personal information as set out in clause 15;
– our professional advisers;
– regulators and government authorities in connection with our compliance procedures and obligations; and
– other recipients where we are authorised or required by law to do so.
Marketing regarding your personal information
17. How we use your personal information for direct marketing is controlled by applicable laws. We will follow those laws to ensure you only receive direct marketing in circumstances where you are expecting to.
18. We will use your personal information for the purposes of direct marketing where we have your consent to do so. We will send you marketing communications about products and services that we deem are of interest to you.
19. If at any time you want to know who provided us with your personal information, then please send a request to us at [email protected]. We will provide the details of that third party within a reasonable time and without charge.
20. We will not use your sensitive information for the purposes of direct marketing unless you have given us permission in writing.
21. We will always provide a simple means for you to “opt-out” from receiving direct marketing, which typically involves an “opt-out” or “unsubscribe” link on emails, or through a pop-up on your screen when you provide personal information online. Alternatively, if at any time in the future you do not want us to send you direct marketing material or you wish to cancel a previous consent, please inform us by contacting us at [email protected]. We will affect the change without charge.
22. We will not use or disclose your personal information for the purposes of direct marketing if you have previously told us not to.
23. You can modify your browser preferences in relation to cookies. You have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or reject all cookies. If you choose to reject all cookies then some parts of our Website may not work properly.
Cross-border disclosure of personal information
24. We may transfer personal information to countries outside of Australia, but we will only do so in compliance with the law. Where we transfer your personal information outside of Australia we will take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is treated securely, and the means of transfer provides adequate safeguards. We will take reasonable steps to protect personal information no matter what country it is stored in or transferred to.
Security of personal information
25. We will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We store personal information on secure servers that are managed by us and our service providers. Personal information that we store or transmit is subject to security and access controls, including username and password authentication and data encryption where appropriate.
Your rights concerning personal information
26. We will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that your personal information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant. You have the right to make a request to access your personal information to request corrections of any errors in that data. You may also close the account you have with us at any time.
27. In certain circumstances we may decline to correct your personal information. When this occurs, we will provide you with a written notice that sets outthe reasons for the refusal, and the mechanisms available to complain about the refusal.
Retention of personal information
28. Meisterline takes steps to ensure that it retains personal information for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes described in this policy, deal with disputes and comply with our legal obligations. When we no longer need your personal information for a permitted purpose and we are not required to keep it to comply with any laws, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to destroy your personal information or to ensure that the information is de-identified.
Cookies and web analytics
Information about children
30. Our Website is not suitable for children under the age of 16 years. If you are from 16 to 18 years, you can browse the Website but will need the supervision of a parent or guardian to become a registered user.
31 If you have a concern or query relating to our handling of your personal information or any breaches of applicable data protection laws, please notify us at [email protected] by outlining the nature of the complaint. If unresolved, the complaint may be referred to an external complaints’ resolution entity and finally, if necessary, taken to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.